Temecula Information.com - Events, Wineries, Jobs, Homes for sale, Relocation,

Ranch Profile

Established 1904
By Walter Vail
87,500 acres 
Sold in 1964 to Kaiser

Mount Palomar  Palomar wines are produced under the care of Winemaker Etienne Cowper

Nearby Facilities

Vail Ranch Center
Redhawk Golf Course
Redhawk Park
The Promenade Mall
Old Town Temecula
Temecula Shopping Ctrs.

 

VAIL RANCH HISTORY
Hwy. 79. - Temecula, CA -92591 - Map

In 1904 Walter Vail, who had come to the United States with his parents from Nova Scotia, migrated to California and with various partners began buying vast acreages in Southern California. He purchased 87,500 acres in Riverside County which included the township of Temecula, (four Spanish land grants) and drove 1,000 head of cattle from Arizona. It was the last large cattle drive in the United States. It remained a working cattle ranch for the next 60 years. in 1882, when the Santa Fe Railway came through our valley, Old Town Temecula was born.

For years the Vail family had dreamed of building a dam to catch the Temecula Creek water which ran its course to the Pacific Ocean. In 1948, at a cost of more that $1 million, the dam was completed and created Vail Lake. Vail was run over and killed by a street car in Los Angeles in 1906; his son, Manlon Vail, took over the family ranch. 

Through the mid-1960's the economy of the Temecula Valley centered around the Vail Ranch; the cattle business and agriculture were the stimuli for most business ventures. During that period, the clientele of the Swing Inn, the Longbranch Saloon and the Stables Bar seemed to be confined to ranchers, cowboys, and Indians. While the Old West lifestyle continued here, the outside world was evolving dramatically.

On July 1870 the Temecula Post Office was moved to the Wolf Store in Vail Ranch and Louis Wolf is appointed postmaster. The building still stands and is one of Temecula's oldest buildings.

In the early part of 1870 the Post Office is relocated once again to Old Town Temecula and was renamed Temecula Station, its official name until 1905.

On December 4, 1964, the Vail Ranch was sold to Kaiser Development Company and launched the transformation of the Temecula Valley. A later purchase by the group brought the total acreage to 97,500 a spread of land two and a half times the size of the city and county of San Francisco.

Some of the buildings still stand and have been preserved and a museum in currently in development. The Vail Ranch location is now home to a shopping centers, several  Communities, The Redhawk Golf Course, parks and many more facilities.

More Temecula History...

Nearby Parks Nearby Communities 
Redhawk Community Park
Vail Ranch Park
Paloma Park
Michael J. Linen Park
Pablo Apis Park

Park Directory

Redhawk
Vail Ranch
Morgan Hill
Veranda
Country Glen
Bridlevale

Community Directory

 

EARN CASH

SHOP LOCAL


Temecula's Wine Country

TEMECULA'S WINE COUNTRY

Visit Temecula's wine country and enjoy beautiful rolling hills, wonderful views and clean air.
Enjoy wine from over 20 award-winning wineries, attend a jazz concert, eat and stay for a day or weekend.

Wine Tasting Coupons
Events Calendar
Transportation
Restaurants 
Hotel Reservations
Wineries
Photo Tours

Verizon

ANYTIME SHOPPING Holiday

ANYTIME SHOPPING
Holiday/Special Occasion

  Baby Products
  Books
  Cameras
  Classical Music
  Popular Music
  Video Games
  Computers
  DVD's
  Electronics
  Kitchen
  Magazines
  Outdoor Living
  Software
  Toys
  Video

New Page 1

Temecula at a Glance

Temeku Hills Golf Course

Temehu Hills G.C.

Temecula Valley Home Search.com

HOME FOR SALE

Temceula Estate
Welcome Home
 
    Top of page | Previous Page

New Page 1