Temecula was one of the
stops on the route of the Butterfield Stage and in April 22, 1859 became the
location of the seventh post office in California. The first post office
was in San Francisco.
The first inland Southern California post office is established at John
Magee's store on the Little Temecula Rancho. Louis A. Rouen is appointed
postmaster and serves until the post office is closed in March 12, 1862
The Temecula Post Office is re-established at Louis Wolf's store in Vail
Ranch which still stands and is the oldest building in Temecula.
On July 1870 the Post Office is reestablished in the Wolf Store in Vail
Ranch and Louis Wolf
is appointed postmaster. The building still stands and is one of
Temecula's oldest buildings.
In the early part of 1870 the Post Office is relocated once again to Old
Town Temecula and was renamed Temecula Station, its official name until
On January 24, 1883, the Post Office
was moved to the area that is now known as Old Town Temecula, and was
renamed Temecula Station, its official name until 1905.
For a while, the Post Office was located in the Hotel Temecula on Main
Street. At some point around 1928, the Temecula Post Office moved into
the Champion Building at 28636 Front Street where it remained until
1981, when it relocated to its present site at 28360 Front Street.
The Temecula Main Post Office on Rancho California Road opened on
September 25, 1991 (9-25-91, which coincidentally, is one of Temecula's
zip codes, 92591).